Tenant Assistance

Landlord Conflicts

Whether renting a room, an apartment, a house, or a duplex, the relationship between a renter and the property owner is governed by federal and state laws. Any issues that come up are resolved as a matter between two private parties. The City of Imperial Beach does not enforce federal and state laws related to landlord-tenant issues.

The following information and resources may be of assistance to you:

The California Department of Real Estate produces a guide that covers the rights and responsibilities of both Tenants and Landlords. 

The English version of California Tenants - A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities is available here.

The Spanish version of California Tenants - A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities is available here.

Legal Resources 

If you believe you have been unlawfully evicted, or if you need legal advice, you should consult with an attorney. If you need low or no cost legal help, please visit lawhelpca.org and/or Tenant Resources.

Locally, the Legal Aid society of San Diego can assist with housing, debt collection, repossession, sales contracts, family law, immigration, tax problems, conservatorships, restraining orders and SSI.

For advocacy against housing discrimination reach out to CSA of San Diego County.

Rental and Security Deposit Resources

The County of San Diego provides a one-time payment assistance for renters unable to pay for a security deposit through a security deposit voucher program, please visit County of San Diego Security Deposit Assistance Program for additional details and to apply, or call them at 858-694-4801.

Rental Assistance Program Information

Additional rental assistance information can be found in the following County of San Diego Document - Rental Assistance and Affordable Housing Directory. Also, see the information on our Affordable Housing and Housing Solutions webpage here.

Utility Resources

San Diego Gas and Electric has the California Alternate Rate for Energy (CARE) program and the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) program, both of which can provide you with a discount on your monthly energy bill. For the specific benefits and requirements under the CARE and FERA Programs please go to the webpage for CARE and FERA Programs or call 877-646-5525.

The State of California also has its Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) which is a Block Grant that is funded by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and provides two basic types of services. For more information on this program and its benefits and requirements please see the webpage for LIHEAP or call 916-376-7109 or toll free 866-675-6623.

Veteran’s Assistance

The U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs can provide housing assistance which can help Veterans, service members, and their surviving spouses to buy a home or refinance a loan, assist those that are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, as well as providing grants for housing assistance. Please visit the webpage for Veteran's Affairs or call 800-827-1000.

Habitability Concerns

For issues within a rental unit which may affect the livability of the unit and the health and welfare of the tenants, you may contact our Code Compliance Division to file a complaint.